| Article Library British Royalty The Royal Lineage - England
Kings of England - Richard II to Henry V (1377 to 1422)
By William Bortrick
RICHARD II, King of England, born at Bordeaux, 6 January 1366, Earl of Chester, Duke of Cornwall and Prince of Wales 1376, succeeded his grandfather, Edward III, as King of England, 22 June, 1377. Crowned 16 July, 1377, married lstly at Westminster Palace, 22 January 1383, Anne (born at Prague 11 May, 1366; died without issue at Shene, 7 June, 1394, buried at Westminster Abbey), daughter of Charles IV, King of Bohemia, Holy Roman Emperor. He married 2ndly, at Calais, 31 October 1396, Isabel (born Chateau du Louvre 9 November 1387, married 2ndly, 29 June, 1406, Charles, Duke of Orleans, and died Blois, 13 September 1409, buried there), 2nd daughter of Charles VI, King of France. Richard II had no issue by either marriage. He was deposed 30 September 1399, and murdered 14 February 1400, at Pontefract Castle (buried at Westminster Abbey). The Crown was usurped by his cousin, Henry, 2nd Duke of Lancaster, eldest son of John of Gaunt.
HENRY IV, King of England, born at Bolingbroke, 30 May, 1366, Earl of Derby, Duke of Hereford, 1397,
succeeded his father as Duke of Lancaster, 1398/9, King of England upon the deposition of his cousin, Richard II, 30 September 1399. Crowned 13 October 1399, married 1stly at Rochford, 1380, Lady Mary de Bohun
(born 1370; died at Peterborough Castle, 4 July, 1394, buried at Leicester), daughter and co-heir of Humphrey, Earl of Hereford, and had issue,
1. HENRY V, afterwards King.
2. Thomas, Duke of Clarence, born circa May 1388, married 1411, Margaret
(died circa 30 December 1439), widow of John Beaufort, 1st Earl of Somerset (see above), 3rd daughter of Thomas Holand, 2nd Earl of Kent, and was killed in battle of Bauge in Anjou, 22 March, 1421, without issue.
3. John, Duke of Bedford, REGENT OF FRANCE in the minority of HENRY VI, born 20 June, 1389, married 1stly 17 April, 1423, Anne (died 14 November 1432), daughter of John, Duke of Burgundy. He married 2ndly, 20 April, 1433, Jaquetta (married 2ndly, 1436, Sir Richard Widville, 1st Earl Rivers, and died 30 May, 1472), daughter of Peter of Luxemburg, Count of St. Pol, and died without surviving issue 15 Sept 1435.
4. Humphrey, Duke of Gloucester, born 3 October 1390, married 1stly circa 1423 (marriage annulled circa 1430), Jacqueline, Countess of Holland and Hainault (died 8 October 1436), widow of John, Dauphin of France (died 4 April 1416) daughter of William VI, Count of Holland; and married 2ndly circa 1430, Eleanor (died 1454), daughter of Reginald, 2nd Lord Cobham, and died without issue 23 February 1447.
1. Blanche, born. 1392, married 26 October 1406, Louis III, Elector Palatine, and died
21 May, 1409, having had issue. He died 29 December 1836.
2. Philippa, born. 1393, married 26 October 1406, Eric, King of Denmark, and
died without surviving issue 5 January 1430. He died 1459.
HENRY IV married 2ndly at Winchester Catherdral, 7 February 1403, Joanne (died at Havering Bower, 10 June, 1437, buried at Canterbury Cathedral), widow of John V, de Montfort, Duke of Brittany, and daughter of Charles II, King of Navarre, but had no other issue. He died at Westminster Palace, 21 March, 1413 (buried at Canterbury Cathedral), and was succeeded by his eldest son,
HENRY V, King of England, born at Monmouth, 9 August 1387, Prince of Wales 1399, succeeded his father, Henry IV, as King of England, 21 March, 1413; Crowned 9 April, 1413; at Troyes, 3 June, 1420, Catherine (born. Paris 1401, married 2ndly circa 1428, Owen ap Meredith Tudor, and had further issue (see above), and died at Bermondsey Abbey, 3 January 1437, buried at Westminster Abbey), youngest daughter of Charles VI, King of France, by whom he had an only son,
HENRY VI, afterward King.
HENRY V died at Bois de Vincennes, in France, 31 August 1422 (buried at Westminster Abbey), and was succeeded by his only son,
HENRY VI to HENRY VII (1422 - 1509)